This is the silliest blog I think I've written thus far but I just had to.When I began driving, roughly 6 years ago, I started out on my mom's Ford Explorer. My dad wasn't thrilled about this. One reason, I'm sure, was because it was their brand new car and I was a brand new driver. Next reason was because it was an automatic. He was convinced that if I learned to drive on an automatic, I'd never learn to drive a stick.
Well to his amazement, a few months later, I bought a car from a friend and it was a stick. LaVor taught me how to drive it (which was a challenge in and of itself...I hate being taught things) and within the night, I was able to drive without any jerking.
From that point on, I drove a stick shift, including our 1966 Bronco that had "three on the tree" (where the shifter is located on the steering column). In October, we bought our new car which is an automatic. I love it but I do miss the feeling of being a race car driver.
I got to drive our Mercury Tracer home from LaVor's parents tonight and it reminded me of the many times I would peel out from a stop light and see how fast I could get the wimpy car to 4th gear. It wasn't anything impressive but it's fun to pretend.
*Note - I don't mind an automatic when I'm going up hills :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment