I wouldn't consider myself a goody goody but I like to follow the rules. While in school, I prided myself on never getting my name on the board (up until 5th grade...thanks, Mr. Stahr!), never having detention, not even getting yelled at on the playground for running. Then I went into the 6th grade and had the class from you know where. It actually wasn't the whole class, just three boys that wreaked havoc every.single.day! My poor teacher, Ms. Morgan, had reached her limit one day and broke down. She faced the board, with her head in her hands, as she took a moment to herself. We all sat there, in silence, wondering what in the heck was going on. She turned back around, her eyes glistening with tears and her face bright red, and announced that we would all have lunch detention the following day. "What?!" ran through my head. "Was I really facing the consequences for someone else's actions?!"
While browsing Facebook a few weeks ago, I came across a comment about Mitt Romney and his views on women's rights. I wasn't too sure about his views so I began reading. Apparently he would like to eliminate funding to Planned Parenthood. That turned my search into Planned Parenthood. My only knowledge of Planned Parenthood was that Dr. Drew would suggest callers visit their clinics, after calling into Loveline. According to their 2008-2009 annual report, Planned Parenthood received about a third of its funding from government grants and contracts.
Per their website, "Planned Parenthood offers services at low or no cost. Fees are determined on a sliding scale, based on your income and family size. All services are provided at the lowest cost possible, and you can call us anytime to discuss payment options."
My understanding is that they can offer procedures at little or no cost to the patient because of the funding they receive, whether government or private.
And that's where I have an issue.
I am all for the 1.5 million women that were screened in 2010 for cancer. I am not for the remaining 9.4 million patients that received treatment for STD testing, birth control, abortions, and pregnancy tests. I should note, PP supposedly does not use the government funds for abortions.
Waiting to have sex until I was married was a personal choice and one that I'm glad I made. It is a very intimate, emotional act that comes with a huge responsibility. It is a choice, not a privilege, that also comes with consequences. I do not believe that I should have to pay the consequences, literally and figuratively, for someone else's actions.
My husband works hard to provide for our needs. I wish I could stay home every day with The Lime but bills have to be paid. In order to prevent more Limes from joining our family right now, I pay for a little pill. That pill was costing me $90 per month, while I was nursing. Why is it that we are a hard working family that is willing to take responsibility for our actions and are paying up the wazoo for health insurance, yet we are still paying an outrageous amount, out of pocket, for benefits? The only conclusion that I can come to is someone has to pay for the free or discounted services offered at facilities like Planned Parenthood and it isn't the patient.
So if Mitt Romney eliminating funds for Planned Parenthood is considered "against women's rights", I must be, too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment