Monday, September 16, 2013

Bopped Upside the Head

We just got back from our second weekend in a row spent in the Bay Area. We arrived Thursday night so we'd be ready to go, bright and early, to a friend's wedding on Friday.

LaVor, his parents, and The Lime were in the family room watching tv and playing while I was in the hallway ironing our clothes. On his own, The Lime popped up and said, "I'm going to get ready for bed!" and up the stairs he went. All of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, I see him fly back down the stairs and land flat on his stomach. He busted into tears and was obviously upset. LaVor put him in the bath to calm down and then brought him downstairs where he continued to play until we decided to go to bed.

As soon as we layed him down, he began crying again and complaining that his head hurt. LaVor took him back downstairs while I grabbed a towel to place on his forehead with some ice. I turned the corner into the family room and made it to The Lime just in time to catch the throw up shooting out of his mouth.

Had he just complained of his head hurting, we would have given him Tylenol and called it a night. But now that vomit was part of the equation, I suggested we go to the ER. While we suspected it was a concussion, we certainly didn't want to ignore it and have something else be wrong. So we hopped in the car, caught a few more rounds of throw up, and made it to an empty ER in no time (thank goodness it was a Thursday night). He was immediately taken back, the doctor checked him out, ordered a scan, had the scan done, took some anti-nausea medicine, threw that up, got the results back that everything looked good, he took some Tylenol, fell asleep, and they sent us on our way. One final round of vomiting was had before we could leave the parking lot and we were back home in minutes.

I was the lucky one that got to sleep with The Lime, although I wouldn't call it sleeping. It was more of a paranoid restful state, where I got kicked in the head. Thankfully, despite being a tad weak, he was back to normal Friday morning, just in time for the wedding.

Our good friend/brother/uncle/go-to Chiropractor Johnny took a look at him and said things looked okay. He did suggest we do some exercises with him, which I should do now since I haven't done them at all. Have I mentioned my new love for John's chiropractic services? He's fantastic.

What's not fantastic is the hospital bill we'll get in a few weeks. But since The Lime is worth it, we'll suck it up and be grateful he's just fine.

The Lime and his new girlfriend, Claudia

No comments: