LaVor had to work on Christmas Eve as did my brother-in-law, and my sister's sweet babe was sick so the Christmas Eve Breakfast crowd wasn't as large as it normally is. Since there was a smaller group, we opted to go out for breakfast to Mel's Diner.
The Lime would not sit still (what a surprise) and refused to eat his breakfast...at first. It took some coaxing to finally get him to take a bite. Why is it that he'll eat eggs, bacon, and potatoes when LaVor makes them at home but refuses when we're out? Who knows.
After breakfast, The Lime wanted to go to Target and Toys R' Us, two places that I refused to go near. We had been the day before and both were crazy, I could only imagine the chaos that was taking place the day before Christmas. I can't remember what we did the rest of the day, though. At least up until I put The Lime down for a nap and I got my second migraine in five days. Thankfully LaVor got off work early and I drugged myself up and went to bed, too. My Christmas wish was that this migraine wouldn't end up like the last. I woke up a few hours later feeling much better and was ready to check out the Christmas lights in our area.
One neighborhood a few minutes away had several homes that went all out. They lined the sidewalks with lights and several families walked up and down the street admiring everything. We opted to stay in the car and soak it all in with the heater on.
We then drove to the next town over, where everyone else and their mother ended up, too. These lights were neat and nearly every house had some sort of character, light, or Christmas item in their front yard. We loved seeing our favorites, Lightning McQueen & Mater, Chip N' Dale (or Chicken Dale like The Lime calls them), Robin Hood, Merida (for our niece/cousin), Ratatouille for me, Up!, and Mike & Sully.
We ate a late dinner of frozen pizza and Carl's Jr. (the only thing open on Christmas Eve) and LaVor read from the scriptures while The Lime acted the Nativity out with one of our sets.
The Lime then opened his new pajamas and instantly transformed into Superman. We had to reel him back in, set out the cookies and milk for Santa, and try to settle down before going to bed. I remember the excitement of going to bed on Christmas Eve and tossing and turning all night, waiting for even an ounce of sunlight to poke through my bedroom window. Most of the time, my sister and I would make our way into our older sister's bedroom and wait out the night together.
I decided to sleep on The Lime's floor to prevent any sneaking from taking place. He woke up once around 6:00 to go to the bathroom. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Did Santa come?!" Thankfully it was still dark outside so I could play dumb and say I wasn't sure. He slept for a couple more hours and then we were ready to see if Santa really came.
The second The Lime saw that he had come, and what he brought him, he said, "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! It's exactly what I wanted! Oh my gosh!" It was perfect and I caught the tail end of it on camera. He was so stinkin' excited and appreciative of everything.
The rest of the day was extremely relaxed and casual. My parents, grandma, brother-in-law, and niece joined us for dinner that night. Unfortunately, we started steaming the tamales way too late and they weren't ready in time. Fortunately, we had plenty of beans, chips, salsa, guacamole, and LaVor's delicious homemade rice to fill our bellies. We might go back to a menu that we know how to prepare for next year's dinner.
After dinner, the two kiddos opened presents from Omi and GrandPop while we Skyped with my sister who decided to stay home with the baby.
And just like that, Christmas was over for another year. It always seems so far away but then it's gone in a blink of an eye.
In addition to appreciating the birth of our Savior, his life, and sacrifice for us, I was grateful for the time we were able to spend together as a family this year. LaVor was able to take several days off and The Lime and I just ate up having him around 24/7. It doesn't happen often but we're grateful when it does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment