Sunday, June 19, 2016

Pop

I've thought about what I wanted to write throughout the entire week and each time my mind went in that direction, I started to cry (sorta like what I'm doing right now). Nothing makes you realize how much you love someone until there's the possibility of that person not being around anymore. I've always really loved my dad, obviously, but with his health concerns these last 6+ months, it really sank in what a great job he's done at being my Pop and how much I really love him.


In my 32 years of life, I can only remember him yelling on two occasions. One of which was when I forgot to tighten the base onto our blender and my milkshake went e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e! He has a calm, easy-going demeanor that makes him easy to be around. Hence why he's able to make friends wherever he goes.


He can strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere. He's a great listener and can always find something to talk about. I have great memories of driving to Good Guys Car Shows in Pleasanton with him and speaking German with one another the entire way.


Speaking of German, he was my substitute teacher in my German class one time. And my math class. While it was embarrassing, especially being in high school, he never let anything stop him from trying to support his family. His mom always told him to get a degree so he wouldn't have to dig ditches. He has a degree and still dug ditches, which is where I learned how to dig ditches. I'm also a great firewood stacker, PVC pipe gluer, table & dish washer, and vacuumer.


He gives the best back rubs and never asks for one in return. My siblings have passed on the tradition to our kids and now they ask for back rubs, even from Grandpop. We used to call him Magic Fingers because nobody can rub your back like Pop can.


He loves his family and takes every opportunity he can to make memories with them. He loves his grandkids, possibly more than his actual children, and nibbles on them just like he did us. He always made time for us and took us to the park or played Bucking Bronco with us. We danced in the living room to the Beach Boys and turned Abba up loud on the computer. He let us drive around the block and took us to wherever the cops and fire trucks were headed. He took us to work on Take Your Child to Work Day. He'd encourage us to go to school if we weren't feeling well and call home if things didn't improve throughout the day (I called him the second I got to school, once). He killed spiders for us before we felt safe enough to climb into bed. He drove fast but I never felt unsafe. He leads music with his finger. He's great at giving praise and thanks.


I get my long fingers and stride from him, a love of taking pictures, a big forehead, easily tanned skin, a love for mashed potatoes and old cars, and we both cry easily.


It's a treat to be able to watch my brothers take on the calling of a father and excel at it. They have a great teacher and I couldn't have picked a better person for them to follow than my dad.


I can only assume that Pop turned out to be so great because he had a good example to follow. I know which attributes he got from his mom but I can also tell which ones most likely came from his dad. And even though I'm a mom, I hope I can pass those same attributes on to my kids.

No comments: