We have exactly one month before school starts (AHHHHHHHHH!) and are bound and determined to make the best out of the limited time we have, gosh darnit.
After our fun and busy Friday, the boys and I were anxious to keep the momentum going and do something just as fun with LaVor. "Check your e-mail," he said to me before we went to bed. In it was a link to the Empire Mine State Historic Park. "Looks good to me!" I said. So after our doughnut run, we headed up the hill to Empire Mine.
It was a cool 72° and there was hardly anyone there when we arrived. "Just how I like it," LaVor said.
We browsed through the Visitors Center first and admired the amazing mineral collection they had displayed. We also enjoyed the brief history of the mine as well as the scale model of the mine's underground tunnels. Pretty dang fascinating when you think of them doing all that work without modern technology!
The boys were anxious to step outside and see where all the real action took place. Thank goodness for LaVor and his knowledge of machinery and most everything that requires hands on attention.
Things got really exciting when we got to go down the steps into the mine. The distance is nothing in comparison to how deep it really goes but it gave us all a small glimpse of what conditions might have been like for the miners.
LaVor took The Lime while I changed Doodlebug's diaper. During the diaper change, we kept hearing "ping, ping, ping" and smelled smoke. Sure enough, the blacksmith was the next stop. Two men and one woman were pounding away at red hot metal making various different tools.
The cement looking part of this picture is the actual building that was used while the mine was up and running.
I loved the offices, but especially grew fond of the old creaky stairs. I wish I knew how old they really were because they've definitely been loved and stepped on.
We made our way across the grounds and admired the cottage and gardens.
The Lime really wanted to see the moose head in the Clubhouse. Unfortunately, that's about all there was to see. The heads were gifted to the Bourn family from a Canadian friend.
After a few minutes in the gift shop, we were on our way back down the hill.
It was just the right amount of information and stuff to see for the boys and interesting enough for LaVor and I. We are anxious to see where our next adventure takes us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment