Dear Freddy,
10 years ago at this time, I was getting a wee bit nervous, realizing that you were going to make your appearance very soon. And I was nervous until the second the doctor delivered you. And then I was in love! You were the cutest baby, for having just been born, and you're the cutest 10 year old! Every time Grammy sees you, she comments on how handsome you are. I would have to agree.
Grammy and Papa were just here for Christmas and you had so much fun with them! You and Grammy played football outside, she recorded you on your bike while you tried (and succeeded!) making trick shots into the basketball hoop, you played lots of games and read lots of books. You begged them to stay, hoping their flight would be delayed longer than it already was. You have such a great time with them and I know you're anxious for our next visit.
You've been anxious this year to try other sports; basketball and football. While we didn't sign you up for them, you've been playing plenty of both at school and with friends after school. In fact, I think all of your white shirts are grayish brown from all the mud you roll around in. Last year was your first year not playing baseball in the fall, in hopes of being able to play basketball. We weren't able to make it happen but we'll see if we can work something out this year.
After four years of having girl teachers, you were initially excited to be put in the class of the only male teacher in the whole school. It's been a different dynamic, and it's taken you a while to get used to it, but it's been nice for you to have something that's out of your comfort zone. You did, though, tell me Thursday night (as we were studying for your DLI test) that Ms. Swithenbank and Mrs. Lee are still your favorite teachers so far. And I'd have to agree! Especially Ms. Swithenbank. She still says hi to you every time we see her at school. She was so good for you!
This year at church, you're not participating in scouts. They've implemented a new program for the youth where you work on goals in four areas; physical, spiritual, intellectual, and social. You'd like to read the Book of Mormon, include people at school who don't have someone to play with, get better at division, and get better at baseball/football/basketball. You told me last night that you think you aced your multiplication/division test this week. I know when you put your mind to something, and really try, you're able to knock it out of the park!
A couple of months ago, you were struggling with that; not really believing in yourself. It stemmed from us receiving an email from your teacher, letting us know that you were extremely disruptive in class one day. I came across a book from Cost Plus where you write, each day, why you're amazing. I got a Five Minute Journal for Christmas and we've set aside time each night to both write in our books. We then share with each other what we wrote. I love that you're able to find even the smallest reason as to why you're amazing (you bought pizza for the family one night). It was super cool when, after you initially weren't feeling so hot about yourself, you were able to write about being the only one to clip up in your entire class (that's a good thing!). Or how you got a perfect score on your math test. Always look for the positive!
You started riding your bike/walking home from school this year. Daddy has been encouraging it for years but neither you, nor I, felt comfortable with it. Something changed this year and you were eager to start. The only thing, when you see the unruly neighbors down the street outside, you choose to go the long way just to avoid them. You are so my child and I love that you're aware of your surroundings! You're willing to go the extra mile (literally) to ensure you're safe. You got walkie talkies for Christmas and you've been bringing one to school with you while I keep the other. While I know you wish it was a cell phone, I can tell you think it's pretty cool to be able to chat while you're riding home. With all of this said, though, there are some days where you do opt for me to pick you up. And I am more than happy to!
You have also started staying home by yourself (or with Doodlebug) for short periods of time. I know it makes you feel old and responsible. When Daddy and I left you two home alone one Saturday while we went Christmas shopping, you called Daddy's phone about 6 times in almost two hours, wondering when we'd be home. So while I know you love feeling like a super big kid, you have moments like that where you're still young. I'll take it because I know those times are winding down.
Keep up the good work, my love! I love seeing you progress, learn, grow, and I can't wait to see where you end up.
I love you so much!
Mommy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment