Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Lime - Tally Mark 156

Dear Freddy,

We officially have a teenager in the house!  What the heck?!  The days leading up to your birthday, I always play back in my mind what took place __ years ago.  It really doesn't feel like you joined our family 13 years ago.  And I can't believe how quickly the last 5 years have gone by.  It means the next 5 will fly by even faster, and then you'll be an adult!  Until then, we'll enjoy the time we got kid Dieter and we'll learn how to parent teenage Dieter.

You're in 7th grade and don't enjoy it.  Every once in a while, you having something positive to say about school.  And if you do, it has to do with your friends, your math teacher, or Mr. Smith.  It's hard to tell if you don't like science because it's science or because of your teacher.  I think it's the later.  You're doing line dancing in PE right now and you're not thrilled about it.  Reading is not your strength and you fight us when we suggest you read in your downtime.  We tell you it's something you'll need/use the rest of your life but you think otherwise.  Social Studies is mediocre but I know you'll love it next year.

Last Fall, you moved up to Juniors in little league.  You now play on a full-size baseball field and that was a definite adjustment.  Gregg was your coach in the Spring and Fall, which you thoroughly enjoyed.  Ironically, we met with him a few years prior when you wanted to know why you didn't make the All-Star team.  We weren't too sure of him at that time but being on both his teams was a wonderful experience.  You thrive at first base and love trying your hand at pitching.  Many people comment how you fit the look of a baseball player and you'd be decked out in knee/foot/elbow guards all the time if Daddy would let you.

You've started going across the street to the open area to ride your bike.  Everest, Bryce, Jackson, and you have built some dirt jumps to ride on.  Unfortunately, you've created a gazillion holes in the ground while doing so.  You guys don't seem to mind, though.  We've received a lot of rain recently so that whole area is flooded/muddy.  You're anxious for the ground to dry out so you can get back out there.  You let Rie come with you sometimes and are always home before it gets dark.  Now that it's staying darker later, I imagine that's where you'll be spending a lot of your time (until baseball starts).

You're good at saving your money but always want more.  This year you'll be eligible to work in the snack bar at baseball.  You also went around the neighborhood this year to sell lemons and rake people's leaves.  Daddy keeps suggesting you mow people's lawns or clean out their garbage cans.  While you love money, you're not too keen on having to work extra hard to earn it.  I think that'll change once you start working at the snack bar.  

While doing your homework, you have to listen to music because you say it helps you focus.  As soon as we get in the car to go somewhere, you ask Daddy if he can turn on Amazon music.  We had a break in the rain today so you put the iPad in your backpack and you rode around on your bike listening to music.  You love music and enjoy a wide variety of genres.  Your favorite artist right now is Morgan Wallen, and you'd love to see him in concert.

Speaking of concerts, I took you to see Matisyahu with me last year since Daddy was out of town.  You thought everyone was weird and didn't enjoy yourself.  You asked if you could join me and Auntie Kari when we go see Vance Joy in a couple of months.  I'm working on it because I'd love to go with you!

You are officially taller than me which is really weird.  Trying to console or reprimand someone who is bigger than you doesn't feel right.  But you still love to snuggle and let me hug you as much as I want.  You don't always hug back but that's okay.  You also very rarely say you love me and Daddy back when we tell you we love you.  I attribute that to being a teenager.

Despite the big, bad teenager attitude, you came home from school the other day saying it was the worst day ever.  There was an unexpected intruder drill and you initially thought it was real.  It really scared you and you now get nervous every time someone talks over the PA system.  You like to appear tough and strong, which you are a lot of the time.  But I know there's still that tender boy deep down inside.

That's why you still have Lucifer and sleep with her every night.  You don't just sleep with her, she's with you on the couch every time you're watching tv.  You sniff the same spot on her back that you always have while you suck on your tongue.  We don't talk much about her because I don't want you to get embarrassed but I love that she's still such a large part of you.

You are very into your appearance and love to match.  You have a lot of shoes (you wear a size 9 in mens) and Dickies pants.  You could probably wear a new baseball hat every day for a month.  You eat smoothies for breakfast.  I still make your lunch for school and it's been peanut butter and crackers for months.  You can scarf down pizza or a hamburger in a flash.  We have to remind you to brush your hair often, and you just cut it for the first time in probably a year.  You still play with Nico on a daily basis, and you two come up with interesting things to do.  I described you two to a neighbor down the street and she said, "Oh, the boys that ride in a car seat on a skateboard?"  As long as you're wearing your bike helmet, I'm fine with that.  You ride your bike to school when it's not raining, and you wear shorts when it's not raining.  You love "Only the Brave" and want to be a hot shot.  You still love "Chasing Mavericks" and would probably surf if we lived closer to the ocean.  You love the water and thrive when we go to the lake or river.  It makes me nervous how comfortable you are but you assure me you're fine.

You are fine, and you'll do great things.  Remember to be kind, do well, you're amazing, and I love you!

Love,

Mama



No comments: