When I was 11, my family was able to take a trip back East and visit several historic sites. One of which was Fort McHenry, which is where the Battle of Baltimore was fought. Inspired by that particular battle, Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star Spangled Banner".
I was quite disappointed when we got to church last week and no patriotic songs were to be sung. Thankfully today (although I didn't understand why we were doing this AFTER the holiday), we were able to sing "America the Beautiful", which always reminds me of Pollyanna.
And for the closing hymn we sang "The Star Spangled Banner". I can't sing this song without crying, whether it be at church, at a baseball game or in my car.
In 1994, my dad held the annual WWII reunion in San Diego. He bought a cd of patriotic songs to play at the banquet dinner. I think my brother, Kenny, would agree with me when I say it's one of the best cd's I've ever listened to.
As mentioned before, I love music...especially patriotic music! When we were doing fireworks on the 4th, every time we'd light the sparklers we would sing a different patriotic song.
I'm also so grateful for the free nation in which we've been blessed to live in. I'm grateful for the honest men who built our country on a foundation of faith and believed in God and included him in their decisions. And again, I'm thankful for those who have sacrificed their time and lives to serve this country so we can continue to be free.
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am glad I am not the only one picturing Haley Mills in a flag body suit during that song...
I'll be the next to say that I thought the same!
You always write/say things so nicely. I agree with everything you said. I am also grateful to live in America....and I love to sing the patriotic songs. They are GREAT!! Good luck on your walk tomorrow :)! I'll be thinking of all of you!
Post a Comment