Friday, October 31, 2008

I feel empowered

*Please note, this is strictly Kimberly speaking and not the feelings of Kimberly and LaVor.

Since Alice @ 97.3 fired No Name and brought Vinny back, I've had to change my morning radio show. I always gave LaVor grief for listening to the losers on Live 105 and now I've joined the audience.

On my way to Kari's on Thursday, they read an e-mail from a listener that works at Genentech. Apparently every year for Halloween, people pair up and come up with a "theme" that they decorate their office with and dress up as. This particular listener and her partner decided to do the election. They decorated their office with the equal amount of McCain/Palin signs as Obama/Biden signs. One day, their boss strolled through and approached the desk of the listener, who just so happened to have the McCain signs up on her side, but not necesarily a supporter. The boss explained that she was offended by her decorations and demanded she take them down. The listener pointed out that 1) it was for Halloween 2) it was a joke 3) there were the exact amount of Obama signs on the other side of the office. The boss didn't care and later that day, the listener and her partner removed their decorations. The listener pointed out that several people have had personal Obama signs & stickers up in their cubicles for the entire election and have not had to remove them.

Towards the end of today, a co-worker shared with me what he was doing this weekend. Last weekend, he was visiting Newport Beach and came across a large group of people standing along PCH, holding "Yes on 8" signs. He was motivated by their enthusiasm and positive feedback that he is holding the same type of event tomorrow. I was excited to hear of someone who isn't afraid to stand up for what they believe in, isn't afraid to publically announce what he supports, can wear a shirt to Disneyland that says, "A marriage is between a man and a woman".

I've heard several people say that moving to another (remote) state sounds pretty good right now. But what is that telling the people that are against us? "You win! We won't stand our ground...you can have it".

I'm afraid that this election has become the "trendy" one. It's cool to vote this way and popular to vote for this. I'm glad to say I've never been one to follow the trends.


2 comments:

Kristi said...

Amen, sistah.

Alex McMurray said...

That is what I admire about you: you are never afraid to speak your mind.

Your posting reminded me of a quote by Gianni Versace:

"That is the key of this collection, being yourself. Don't be into trends. Don't make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live."

Alex