Sunday, July 11, 2010

In It To End It

After months of (somewhat) training and fund raising, we've completed the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer!

We had another great weekend, fighting for boobies and feel great about what we've accomplished.

We determined that within the 3 years our family has participated in the walk, we've raised $12,600.00 and walked 260 miles! How awesome is that?!?!

I would love to write all of the wonderful things about this weekend but we'd be here all day. So I'll just point out a few things I'd like to remember...

  • We only got 4 hours of sleep the first night. We weren't sure how we got the energy to walk 26 miles but it came from somewhere.
  • The weather was perfect for walking! Not too cold, not too hot. It was just right, no matter where we were on the route. Although, as we were leaving the Wellness Village on Saturday night, it did get quite chilly and we were grateful we had a warm hotel room to go back to. No camping for us!
  • The new route was fun...something different. I love having the opportunity to see parts of the city that I never knew existed.
  • Found out that the lady who cheers us on in her pajamas, is named Pepper. I love it!
  • Cute old man at mile 15.6 saw my "I love my little tatas shirt" and smiled. He notified me that his wife instructed him not to say anything this weekend. He was afraid that if he did say something, it would be to someone his wife knew and he'd get in trouble. Therefore, he just smiled and nodded as he read my shirt.
  • Seeing the little kids cheer this year had a whole new meaning. One day, The Lime will be out there, with jingle bells on his wrist.
  • Met a lovely woman named Kathy. She came out from New York and finished the last couple miles with us on Saturday.
  • After seeing several people walking for their moms, I couldn't wait to see my mom at the cheering station. As we walked towards each other, I instantly started crying, gave her a huge hug and told her I wasn't sure what I'd do if she wasn't around. I'm so lucky!
  • Not being able to pump as often as I needed to really messed me up. I couldn't wait to see The Lime at the finish line, both days, for more than 1 reason.
  • I got blisters on the same toes I did the last 2 years. It's just the way my feet are made, I suppose.
  • A woman asked us if we were twins. We came to the conclusion that we may sound alike and obviously come from the same family but that's about it.
  • We had to take pictures in front of the restaurants that we love. For me, Memphis Minnie's & Suppenküche!
  • Love the San Jose Police! They ride their bikes on the route with us and provide much needed entertainment. Although, some were a bit perverted this year.
  • I don't like that each year, my list of people I'm walking for gets longer. But it makes me that much more motivated!
  • We couldn't have done it without the donations, love and support from our friends, family members and complete strangers. A big thank you to everyone!

3 comments:

Alex McMurray said...

You were right, lots of the same pictures, but still fun to look at. So much fun and for such a great cause. Love you, Popie! And WMB, forevah!

Alex McMurray said...

PS...I know how I did it on Saturday with 4 hrs. sleep. It was the Diet Pepsi.

Katie May said...

This is awesome! I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. Makes me tear just thinkin' about it.