Saturday, October 2, 2010

What A Relief

Years and years ago, LaVor and I spent a Friday night at my high school's Powder Puff game. We were on assignment from the school newspaper, as I was one of the reporters covering that event.

Half way through the game, a young man walked up to the kids in front of us and said, "LaVor wants to go." LaVor said, "But I'm right here!" The kid looked at LaVor as if he had lost his mind. He was utterly confused and could only say, "Uhhhh..." LaVor laughed and let him know that he too was LaVor.

That's all I remember from that game.

I couldn't tell you what most kids wore or what their hairstyles were like. What I can tell you is that they were NOTHING like they are now.

One of LaVor's YM is on the football team so last night, we packed ourselves up and went to cheer him on. (He was the only good player on the team. 2 interceptions in like 5 minutes...woot woot!)

The Lime was interested when it got loud from the cheering but for the most part, he was all over the place. That gave me a chance to people watch and boy did I.

Since when did the comb over become a hairstyle for teenage girls? Seriously, they take a chunk of hair from the back of their heads and pull that sucker all the way across their forehead. Not cute at all. (I just googled "comb over" and "emo comb over" popped up. That's totally it! Thanks Pete Wentz!)

And the ultra mini, super short, crotch digging jean shorts. 1) Most of the girls didn't have the legs to sport such clothing 2) I'm certain there was no airflow. I'd be interested in knowing if there's a rise in infections among adolescents.

I have mixed emotions when it comes to my blessings and this situation. SO blessed that The Lime is a boy and won't have to follow those styles but extremely nervous that he'll be attracted to girls with comb overs and underwear like jean shorts.

*Note: I wish I had pictures to entertain you with but I didn't have the camera. Perhaps we'll have to visit another game before the weather turns cold.

2 comments:

Alex McMurray said...

Sounds like maybe pictures of the girls would have mostly inappropriate, so good call in retrospect on forgetting the camera. :)

Washington Family said...

Eeeew! My girls won't be wearing any of that, which means they probably won't be cool. I'm totally okay with that too. haha I wasn't cool and I don't feel like I have to make up for it through my kids. Crazy world we live in.