After 5 months of fundraising and a month of training, the walk is officially behind us.
I always get sad when we get to this point. There's so much excitement and anticipation in the months leading to the walk and it's over like that *snaps*.
I am going to be 100% honest in saying that I had little faith in LaVor. After doing our 13 mile training walk and seeing how challenging it was, I was totally convinced he'd make it halfway on Saturday and possibly complete Sunday. I am SO pleased to tell you that he not only conquered the 26.2 miles on Saturday (even though we technically only had to do 24) but he finished the 15 miles we chose (again, Sunday we were only technically supposed to do 13 since we did 26 the day before) to do on Sunday. His feet, unfortunately, tell the story of our victory. But he did it and I'm so proud of him. It's a wonderful experience and I'm so grateful we got to do it together this year.
As in years past, the thing that gets me the most is seeing that people are walking for the women in their lives. I loved having LaVor as my partner in crime but I really missed my mom and sister. When I took my annual picture with Indiana Al from 95.3 KRTY, he asked where my mom was. Isn't that cute? He totally remembered her and asked that I tell her "hi" for him.
I also had a "moment" in Sausalito where there were a group of women with t-shirts on that said, "Young Survivors". They each had their age of when they were diagnosed, written on their shirts. One woman was diagnosed at 28 (8 months away for me) and it brought me to tears! I had to give her a hug and LaVor insists that she had a freaked out look on her face but it reminded me once again that this disease doesn't care how old you are, what you look like, where you're from, if you have a family, or if you're a man or a woman.
Since KRTY has such a large crowd participating, they bring out one of their vans that follows us along the route. They had music blasting both days and it really helps to get you motivated! A long trail with no noise can make 26 miles feel like an eternity. On Sunday, walking back to the Golden Gate bridge, LaVor was feeling the affects of walking 30+ miles and was planning on catching a bus at Fort Baker. We passed the KRTY van, blaring Jason Aldean, and one of the guys gave LaVor a huge hi-5 and said, "Way to go, bud!". It gave him that extra boost he needed that lasted the rest of the day.
This was the first time that we were both away from The Lime overnight and it stunk. Any little boy we saw that appeared to be his age, made us sad. But he was in great hands with my parents and I think all 3 of them had a blast with each other. They were able to come cheer us on in Sausalito, as well as my sisters and 2 nieces. LaVor's grandparents were at the finish line on Sunday, waiting for us with open arms.
We had such a great time and will continue walking until one day, there's a cure and nobody has to face this disease again.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Awesome! Thanks for posting it. Loved following your journey. Now, LaVor can say he's part of the "club."
That is just SO cool! I think it is just amazing that you do this and I am so proud of Var for joining you this year!
This post made me cry! My Grandma died of cancer. I really hope I can do it with you one year.
Post a Comment