Monday, February 13, 2012

DeeDee

When I was a baby, my parents made the mistake of buying me Wish Bear.

I imagine it looked something like this.

I couldn't say "baby" so the bear became "DeeDee".  And 27 years later, the name remains.

DeeDee went everywhere with me, which is how he got lost.  I think the story was, we were at the Ochoas' house and DeeDee somehow got placed on the ground in the kitchen, just underneath the cabinets.  His little hiding place wasn't very obvious and I went home without him.  My mom didn't realize he was missing until it was time to put me to bed and I refused to go without DeeDee.  An imposter was brought in but I wanted nothing to do with it.  Thankfully, Sister Ochoa ended up finding DeeDee and life was complete again.

I remember my mom making me a DeeDee pillow.

Just like this little guy.

I also had a ceramic DeeDee that had a huge crack running through it.  Thank goodness for super glue.

Nancy's...not mine


DeeDee went on sleep overs with me but stayed in my bag because I was too embarrassed to show him off.  LaVor even threatens to throw him away if he sees him, so he stays tucked away in my top drawer.

Why would he want to throw away my favorite childhood toy, you ask?

Because he looks like this.

Battered, abused, sewn back together, bald, but most importantly, loved.

This DeeDee is loved just as much as our new Dee Dee. 

The Lime started out saying his name like "Dada" but now it's turned into "DeeDee".  All day, we hear, "DeeDee help", "DeeDee walk", "DeeDee truck", "DeeDee's Dada". 

I promise not to let my new DeeDee end up looking like my old one.

1 comment:

Katie May said...

Oh my!!!! I hardly know what to say, except to just be another witness to the utter devotion you have had with DeeDee over the years. Clay threw away my "gankit" shortly after I had Gredtel and didn't tell me about it until a few years ago. Haha! And for the record, I always knew you had Dee Dee stuffed in there but I guess I never ratted you out since I always had my blanket, too! It's like watching a part of our childhood when I see that picture!