Saturday, December 15, 2012

Baring It All

It was two weeks ago, at Storytime, when I was sitting in my seat in the back row, while The Lime sat on the carpet with the other kids. A mother abruptly got up from her seat in the front, with her daughter in her arms, and started walking away from the group. Vomit? Poopy diaper? Tantrum? I wasn't sure what was going on. She plopped down in the aisle seat of the row I was in and without hesitation, whipped out her boob and the kid latched on.

"Whoa!" was my initial reaction. "Am I really seeing this?!"

I don't know why it caught my attention and wouldn't let it go (it's like a bad accident...you just have to look). I nursed The Lime from day one until he weaned himself at 15 months. I pumped like a cow, and was very open about it. At first, I was shy about nursing and would prefer to do it in a room with just him and I. But after I got used to it, I was more than comfortable to do it in public...just with a cover on.

Because who doesn't have a picture of themselves nursing their children?

And I think that's what got me; she didn't use a cover.

I know what's going on under the covers yet I prefer to not see the actual boob or the child suckling.

It's natural, I know *rolls eyes* but so is sex and you (hopefully) don't see people doing that in public, with or without covers.

The most awkward part of the whole thing was when we started singing, "We are the Dinosaurs" and marched around the room, having to walk right by the lady. My heart went out to the dads that attend, who may or may not have minded.

Not just 1 cover...I have 2!

No comments: