Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Soda Pop


Much to my dismay, The Lime is a sodaholic. Because you always seem to want what you can't have, right? He also just recently started calling it soda pop. He can't remember where he learned that.

After 12 years together, I finally shared an embarrassing part of my life with LaVor. I used to have a huge fear of having to go to the bathroom when a bathroom wouldn't be readily available. So road trips were a nightmare because I had to pee every half hour, whether I really had to go or not. I also avoided any beverages other than water because I was convinced they went through me faster, thus making me go to the bathroom. Soda was at the top of the list with Snapple close behind. LaVor said it was a good thing I waited to tell him all of this because he might have changed his mind about me. Silly goose.

That's where my dislike of soda started. Then I went to culinary school and took a nutrition class where I learned more about artificial sweeteners. The fact that diet soda can actually be worse than regular soda startled me, even though I don't consume diet drinks.

Then I was exposed to proper dental hygiene and realized soda could do a number on pearly whites. In fact, a combination of video games, Mountain Dew, a lack of brushing and a lack of flossing could cause a $10,000+ disaster. The suggestion of drinking through a straw to limit the amount of soda that touches the teeth doesn't fly with me.

While I try to avoid the stuff, The Lime can't get enough of it. In fact, I think he consumed more soda during our trip than I have in the last year. You might be asking, "You're the parent, why don't you just tell him he can't have it?" Remember he's a sodaholic? If he's around it, he'll find a way to drink it. And it's everywhere! The kid can spot a soda machine from a mile away.

He prefers root beer and orange, both of which leave a nice stain. I cringe when I see what it does to things on the outside, I can only imagine what his insides look like.

So from here on out, we are water and milk drinkers. The Lime might hate me but his teeth and body will thank me for years to come. At least until he gets a job and insurance and can pay for his own choices.

No comments: