It wasn't too far into baseball season when things got ugly. First, the Oakland A's and Kansas City Royals had a tiff.
(Does it make anyone else sick how the KC fans stand up and cheer?)
Shortly after that, the Chicago White Sox got into it with the Kansas City Royals (notice a common denominator?).
With The Lime playing t-ball, I cringe when situations like the above mentioned happen. I understand people get upset but to resort to violence, what message is that sending?
Last Saturday, the A's played the White Sox. Dan Otero was pitching and Jose Abreu was at bat when he got hit by a pitch. The ball bounced off of him and hit the catcher, Stephen Vogt. Jose Abreu turned around to make sure Stephen Vogt was okay, Dan Otero apologized, and Jose Abreu gave him an "it's okay" gesture as he walked to first base.
That, my friends, is how it's supposed to work. I was pleased that The Lime was watching and I made it a point to show him the situation and how all parties reacted. That is good sportsmanship.
In fact, I was so impressed, I had to take a few moments and write notes of gratitude to Dan Otero and Jose Abreu. I wanted to let them know that, although they probably didn't think two seconds about how they reacted, it made a lasting impression on me and hopefully thousands of other fans, especially little ones, who look up to these guys. These aren't just lessons that can be implemented on the field but in our daily lives, and how we treat those that we come in contact with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment