Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Spring Break at the Park

We're on The Lime's second week of spring break and, unfortunately, we spent a majority of the first week inside watching YouTube videos (thanks to rain every.single.day). Thank goodness, the sun decided to shine on Friday and to the park we went!


The boys saw another group of kids create a little obstacle course and The Lime had to follow suit. It was hard to capture these boys in motion because they're so dang fast but they were sure having fun!







I captured this next photo of The Lime and was immediately taken back over 6 years to another visit we took to the park.


He can't seem to have fun without sticking his tongue out :)


I love that, even though he's almost as big as me, The Lime still loves to play at the park, especially with his little brother.


I was trying to get the boys to leave when we saw our neighbors from down the street walking towards us (the same ones we ran into at Disneyland last spring break). The kids immediately started playing together (even their cute 12 year old daughter) while the mom and I chatted. She's one of the nicest ladies but our relationship has been pretty much say hi at school or wave as we pass each other in the neighborhood.

I overheard her talking one day at school that she quit her job and started working in the schools. Then The Lime came home from school one day and said she was one of the new yard duty ladies. I asked her how things were going and she expressed the same financial frustrations our little family is facing. We both want to help contribute to our households but have the opportunity to stay home with our kids. Thus resulting in not as much money as we once had. She said we were both meant to go to the park that day so we could vent to one another :) It's comforting to know that although some people look like they have their crap together, we're all probably dealing with a lot of the same issues.

As a result of our conversation, she dropped by yesterday to give us some passes to laser tag that we're going to put to great use this weekend!

The weather is even more beautiful this week so we planned to visit a new park with our dear friends, the Swyers. We were the first ones there and the kiddos played hard. We brought soccer balls, basketballs, Frisbees, sidewalk chalk, and they brought their scooters. There wasn't a second where they all weren't having a blast.

Two sweaty hours later, we headed to Taylor's for milkshakes. When we walked in, we saw several missionaries but a bunch of them left while we were in line. After we got our shakes, we went to the patio where two elders were still hanging out. I took a picture of our group when one of the elders asked is he could take a picture of all of us.


"Are you guys members?" he asked. My small clan didn't give it away but our friends have six awesome kids so it was a given. The same elder asked all of the kids' names and asked if we were German. I told him I had ancestors who came from Germany and he said he would have guessed I was the one who immigrated. Bless his heart :) They sat down with us and the kids shared some of their missionary moments. Before they left, the elders asked if we could take their picture and text it to their moms. My friend and I have been talking a lot about technology and our kids, and how we as parents need to cut back when it comes to using our devices. As the elders were walking back to their car, one of their moms responded to the text and asked us to tell them how much she loved them. "That's one of the blessings of technology!" I told my friend. We also knew we were supposed to stay at the park a little longer than we anticipated so we could be at Taylor's at the same time as these elders and share that experience with them.

The park wore us out today so we came home and parked it in front of the TV and watched Toy Story 3. We needed that rest since tomorrow is going to be busy but awesome!

No comments: