When I was younger, every Memorial Day morning was spent at our church building, eating pancakes at the annual Memorial Day Breakfast. We were invited to ride our bikes to the church and a majority of us did. We would put the flag up at our house, get our bikes ready and make the trip under the freeway, down the trail, to the church.
As I've grown up, Memorial Day has become more than just pancakes and bike rides to me.
When I was 5, my Grandpa passed away. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about him except that he would feed us walnuts in his lazyboy. I remember the bag of nuts and the nutcracker that had a permanent spot on the side table.
Shortly after his death, my dad got in touch with several of his "WWII buddies". He then started holding reunions for these gentlemen and it turned into another annual event.
Year after year, I got to know several of the men and their spouses. Since I didn't know my Grandpa too well, I felt that by spending time with these great men, I was also able to spend some time with my Grandpa.
I'm not sure how many of these men are still alive but every Memorial Day, I think of those that I got the chance to meet and hear their stories and those that didn't make it home.
How grateful I am for my Grandfathers, Pop and my brother-in-law for sacrificing their time and lives to join the Armed Forces and serve our country. (I know this isn't Veteran's Day, but I just needed to throw that in.)
So although I did appreciate sleeping in today, I appreciate even more the free country in which I live and the men and women that gave their lives for me to enjoy this freedom.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a nice post. As I was walking this morning, down CV Blvd., there were flags all along the way in honor of Memorial Day. I thought it was so thoughtful that someone would get up early to do this in honor of all who had died serving our country. It made me pause and really think about what this day means.
Post a Comment