Thursday, September 11, 2008

I woke up at 5 am, showered, got dressed and was at Seminary by 6 am. Sister Ericson taught the lesson, I'm sure Deborah and I chit chatted the whole time and at 6:50, I got into the Mustang where Kenny was waiting for me. The second I sat down, he said 2 planes had crashed into the World Trade Centers. We listened to the radio the whole way home and once we got inside the house, we saw the note my mom left for us that said, "Turn on the tv. You won't believe it." I sat in front of the tv watching the various news stations until it was time to leave for school. Logan had roughly 4,500 students and was normally bustling with noise but this morning, there was an eerie silence. My first class was Economics with Ms. Critz, a New York native. She had the news on for us to watch while she tried to get a hold of her family in NYC. Each class that day covered some planned material but for the most part, everyone was glued to some sort of communication source, be it tv, computer or telephone. My aunt was boarding a bus to attend a meeting at the Pentagon when the plane crashed into the building. I had an orthodontist appointment that day. I wore navy blue corduroys and a white t-shirt.

My parents grew up during the Kennedy assassination. On several occassions, my mom has told me the story of where she was when she heard the news. I never quite understood the emotions she felt that day, until now.

This made me cry like a baby. Notice what the song is in the background. Click here.

2 comments:

Katie May said...

That was awesome to read. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing your patriotism through your reverence for that day. My experience was pretty similar to yours and one of the things that lingers most is the eerie silence and feelings of shock and disbelief. It's interesting to see how much life has changed now that we live in a post "9/11" world.

Alex McMurray said...

I actually heard that soundbite on the radio on Thursday morning and it made me all teary. I love Silent Night in the background. Very touching.