I try to be a positive person and see the good in all things. My brother-in-law once said that I'm not a complainer. He obviously has never lived with me but I appreciated that, Keith. But really, I try not to complain too much. So please excuse me for the next minute or two.
I would say about 99.9% of the time I receive an invitation to a wedding, it's noted on the invitation where the bride & groom are registered. This is a big NO NO! And I cringe each time I see it.
According to theknot.com, "No gift information should be included with your wedding invitations. Tell your wedding party, parents, and close friends where you are registered, and let them fill guests in. Guests know that they are supposed to ask your mom, your maid of honor, or even you where you're registered. Putting it in the invite is still considered bad form because it suggests that the gift is more important than the potential guest."
Weddingapproved.com went on to say, "No matter what people tell you…. It is extremely poor taste to insert a “helpful” list of places where the couple is registered."
I agree! Nowadays, you can pretty much guess that someone is registered at Target (don't do it...their return policy without a gift receipt SUCKS), Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, etc. There really is no need to publish it on the invitation. Unless you're going for the "tacky" look.
Peggy Post from Good Housekeeping, did make a good point. She stated, "For shower invitations, however, it's okay to include wedding gift registry information -- a list of stores, mail-order catalogs, or Internet addresses -- on the invitation if the hostess prefers."
It makes me wonder if nobody else thinks of this except me (and my mom and sisters), Martha Stewart, Peggy Post and every wedding website out there.
My moment of complaining is over and I feel better. I hope that I've been able to educate some people out there on invitation etiquette and will be seeing registry-free invitations in the future.
Until next time.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen, Popie! I couldn't agree more!
Since we're being honest...the whole gift registery bothers me...a mother of three shops. The thought of standing in line waiting until it's your turn to use the machine that will print all 20 pages (or more) of your pick'ns, and then having to go searching throughtout the store to find your exact item (which might I add is not always the easiest thing to do)is not something I care to do or will do.I usually throw away the registries and just keep what's important (picture&invite). Thank goodness for gift receipts, gift cards, or CASH!!!
Post a Comment