Monday, April 9, 2012

There Are Bad People Everywhere

There were several instances growing up, where I felt unsafe in my home.  One in particular, happened when I was in, I want to say, 2nd grade.

We were all getting ready to sit down at the dinner table when we heard a commotion outside.  Two houses down from ours, a boy was beat with a tire iron by a group of 4 boys.  He was left in the neighbor's driveway, bleeding profusely.  The cops came, a crowd gathered, and I was scared.  I tried to convince my mom that we needed to move up to Fort Bragg, where my Omi lived, because nothing like that ever happened there.  She assured me that bad people were everywhere and no matter where we lived, we couldn't escape them.

I hate that she's right.  And not because I want her to be wrong, but I hate that there's bad people everywhere.

We don't live in the safest part of town but I know it could be worse.  We're mostly tired of the constant barking of dogs, which happens all.the.dang.time.  We would love to be able to go in our backyard or front yard without a symphony of barks. 

I had fasted yesterday, to know if we should move or not, but hadn't received any sort of revelation or feeling all morning.  As we pulled up to our house after church, there were 3 cops across the street, but we couldn't see anything interesting.  While reading the paper online last night, apparently there was a shooting, hence the law enforcement presence.  I certainly wasn't expecting that kind of answer.  The only details I found out were a blue SUV was the suspect vehicle and they shot at, but missed, people walking down the street.  Seriously?!  In broad daylight, on Easter Sunday, with families outside?  I don't know if I'm more mad or scared.  The Lime and I are outside all the time and the thought of creeps shooting other people obviously sends a shiver up my spine but it also makes my blood boil. 


I have this sign hanging in our home, and I agree with it 100%.  We do not need anything big or fancy but I might need to add "and safe" after small.

When it comes to shootings or dogs, I'll pick the dogs.  But I might need to start a neighborhood watch. 

For real.

No comments: