A week from today is St. Patrick's Day and I already have an idea of what I'll wear, including my shade of green nail polish. Now if only my mom passed on her "Kiss Me! I'm Irish!" pin, I'd be all set.
With the weather changing, I've noticed an abundance of concerts coming up. And it just so happens that a lot of the bands coming are some of our favorites. In fact, Flogging Molly was in Oakland last night. On Friday, while at work, I was reading the notes a hygienist made in a patient's chart. "Going to see Flogging Molly this weekend - Irish Punk" it read. When the patient came to my desk to schedule his next appointment, I squealed with delight, "I would love to go to the show!" I offered to be his date, since his wife wasn't too keen on going and he was going to be the fifth wheel. He didn't give me an answer, so I'm assuming it was a "no".
I first heard of Flogging Molly (my co-worker kept saying Fogging Molly) while driving across the Bay Bridge on my way to school in 2004. I was listening to Alice @ 97.3 and No Name did a segment on Fridays where he'd play a favorite song by a band that Alice normally didn't play. Seven Deadly Sins blasted through my speakers and I was hooked.
Fast forward to April 2005, when LaVor and I go see Fever Pitch in the theater. If you've seen the movie, you'll remember the Red Sox opening day scene and the song that goes along with it. When I first heard it, it sounded like Flogging Molly but not exact. With LaVor's help, I found out it was Dropkick Murphys (coming to the area April 15 & 16).
That brings us to our trip to the East coast during the summer of 2009. We were so excited to visit Boston and experience a Red Sox game. "Tessie", the song from the movie, is played each time the Red Sox win, and they won the night we went. This is a great article about the traditional music played at games. (The Lime just turned this song on on our iPad and said, "Baseball!")
And here we are today, actually yesterday, when we were watching Boston's Finest, a new reality show that follows several officers from BPD (I just love the accents!). And who sings the theme song? You've got it! Dropkick Murphys.
So remember, if you go to one of these bands' shows and you're the fifth wheel, I'd be happy to be your date.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment