I set my alarm a half hour early yesterday, so I could get everything ready for LaVor's birthday. I snuck away to the doughnut shop to grab a couple fresh, warm, delicious, chocolate raised (his favorite), blew and hung up the balloons, got the "special red plate" out of the box (which we've had for 6.5 years and have never used), arranged the gifts, and put up the traditional birthday sign just in time. I heard something come around the corner, as I was taping the last balloon to the ceiling, and it was LaVor. The Lime woke up a couple minutes later and I didn't have my camera out quick enough. The Lime had already passed out the gifts and they were opened before I got a shot of the whole shebang.
LaVor took today and yesterday off, in honor of being one year older. The Lime and I were watching my nieces and nephew yesterday but were able to meet LaVor for lunch, at our favorite La Piñata. I think LaVor slept the rest of the day, which sounds like a dream come true to me. When The Lime and I got home, LaVor opened a couple more presents (which The Lime picked out all by himself) and we enjoyed pizza for dinner.
We were supposed to go to the Pennywise concert tonight but both felt like we should pass it by. So instead, we longboarded alongside The Lime, as he rode his bike, and then went on a date to P.F. Changs. We hadn't been in years (pre-Lime) and now remember why. The wait was a joke, despite calling ahead, and the food was "eh". We decided this was our last visit unless a major overhaul takes place.
If we get a hankering for lettuce wraps, we'll make them ourselves.
Back to birthdays, we had a discussion about this topic and Facebook. We purposely don't put our birthday on Facebook, as we feel like the people that matter most don't need a technological reminder. If our 80+ year old grandparents can remember, anyone can. With that said, we also hate how impersonal relationships have become with the uprising of technology. Facebook and cellphones are convenient when relaying messages but I feel like they take away the "I love you, am thinking about you, and wanted you to know I made an effort in getting in touch with you" feelings that come with either a phone call or perhaps a handwritten note. My feelings are the same for most special occasions, but especially Mother's and Father's day. I could go off on another tangent but that would take away from LaVor's special day.
And I think I've already done that enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment