Monday, September 26, 2011

Red Door

There's a house down the street from us that has a red door and I get sad each time I drive/walk by it.

Our old house, meaning my family's, had a red door.


We never had our number address on our house, only on the sidewalk in front of our house, and there was generally a car parked so those numbers were blocked.  When giving someone directions, we'd say, "We're about the 11th or 12th house on your left...with the red door."

The night of my sister's first date, as a 16 year old, we also had the Missionaries over.  Elder Rothstein (right, folks?) took it upon himself to answer the red door when her date knocked.  "Is Kari home?" the boy asked.  "Nope!" and *SLAM* went the red door.  The Elder opened the door right up and said, "Just kidding!" but the boy was so embarrassed and his face resembled the shade of red on our door.

5th grade art class - Roller skating with the red door
Who knew a stinkin' door could create an entire blog post?  I miss the door and I miss the house.  Is it possible to not look forward to the Holidays because they just won't quite be the same?

I had a dream a few weeks ago that the new owners didn't change a thing about the place.  I know that's too good to be true but I'll honestly never know.  And so, I'd like to keep it the same...red door and all.

2 comments:

Alex McMurray said...

I was looking through our photo book from this past year and saw the picture of all of us in front of the house on the last weekend Mom and Pop lived there. I almost started crying. That place will always be home no matter who lives there.

And the word verification is mutti.

Katie May said...

Oh, I loved that red door! Everyone on the East coast has red doors, so when we first moved there I couldn't help but think of your family.