My co-worker is a hip, older Grandma who listens to the same music I do. She found a radio station that plays an array of alternative songs, some from the early 90's to current hits. On Friday, Better Than Ezra's "Good" came on and I was taken back to 1995.
My great grandma had recently passed away and this song had just been released. As I listened to the song on Friday, I remembered listening to the song, standing in our front window, staring outside, thinking about MooMoo.
I haven't seen the "old house" in over a year, mainly because it still makes me extremely sad to know it's not ours anymore.
My dad needed me to drop something off at an old neighbor's home and I put it off as long as I could. As I took the "long way", I drove by my best friend's old house, the Barbie house (it was once bubble gum pink and baby blue but is now purple), Red Devil (the homemade BMX park that is now fenced off with "No Trespassing" signs), The Keesis' home, Nathan Besse's house, the Hernandez household, finally stopping at Danny and Jose's (my destination). The pink flowers that our old neighbor, Nasir, planted, were blocking my view of the "old house". I dropped the things off for the neighbor and pulled onto the street, catching a quick glimpse of our house. The only good thing about it was that it doesn't look like it did when my parents moved, so cosmetically, it isn't my home anymore. Then the tears started flowing and they flowed for a good ten minutes.
I thought about all the things that have changed (hate that word), the people that have moved on, and just wished to go back to 1995 when things were so "good".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Gah! The Barbie house! Some things are forever ingrained in my memory. A few years ago we drove by our old house and the owners recognized us and let us come inside to do a little reminiscing. It was so surreal to me to feel like somewhere within those walls was my childhood.
Post a Comment