Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tender Heart

For about a month, we've been counting down the weeks and then days until my sister and her family would visit. While everyone else was tucked snugly in their beds, LaVor, Kari, and I sat on the couch and talked pass midnight. One of the things we talked about was how I seemed to have missed my nephew's entire baby and infant stages. For the life of me, I don't remember much about him being a baby, like I do with my nieces. I do know that I didn't baby-sit them during that time but I can't remember why.

Anyway, I think because I missed those early months with him, we weren't able to bond as much as I have with the girls. I love the kid but I could tell things were just different between him and me.

Until we moved.

When they were getting ready to leave our old house, Will completely melted into a puddle of tears. He's always been a sweet, tender boy but I didn't know our moving would have such an impact on him. Seeing his reaction obviously brought me to tears.

I was especially excited to see him this weekend so I could hear all about his anticipated outing he had with his teacher last week. It was the first thing we talked about and it was just as exciting as he imagined.

We had lots of fun making strawberry shortcake (he sliced all the berries and made the whipped cream), going swimming, eating dinner, and spending the evening at the park.

While at church today, The Lime and Grace tagged up and went to Nursery together and Claire jetted right off to class, full of confidence. Love that girl.

Will was a bit hesitant about going into Primary alone but it was his lucky day. I was called as a counselor in the presidency and I waned to check things out prior to taking the plunge. I told him I'd be his pal. We got sung to together, we participated in singing time together, and he sat quietly while I got the 411 on the new position. It was then time to head off to class and he asked if I could go with him. I know the uneasy feeling of being alone in an unfamiliar place so I gladly joined him. He turned around several times on the way to class so make sure I was still coming. He's such a good boy and patiently waited to be called upon when answering questions. The teachers challenged the kids to pick one commandment to work on this week and then to report back next week in class. Although he won't be there next Sunday, Will said he would honor his mom and dad. Then the teachers asked what treat the class wanted next week and the kids decided on cupcakes with sour Skittles.

We came home, ate lunch, the kids played for a bit, and then it was time for the crew to get on the road. Will's tender emotions landed on my shoulder as he cried and cried and cried. He didn't want to go and I didn't want him to. But I hugged him tight, told him I'd call him Saturday night to see if he did what he said he would, and report it back to the teachers.

And when we go to visit them in a couple weeks, I'll have some cupcakes for him, sour Skittles and all.




No comments: