It's Spring break in our city for the next two weeks and I noticed a few older kids at the library/park this morning. I was also reminded of an activity I used to participate in during my breaks from school - telephone line trenching.
You might ask what that is. Let me tell you.
Back in the day, most homes only came with one of two phone lines. If you wanted additional lines, you needed to either dig a ditch yourself, so the phone company could put in the new line, or you hired my dad, siblings and me to dig the ditch for you.
My dad lost his job when I was 12 and did his best to find other ways to support our family. Digging ditches was one of them, even though he joked that his mom told him to go to college so he wouldn't have to dig ditches for a living. He has his Bachelors, just for the record.
Because many hands make light work, my dad recruited the kids to help him dig said ditches, despite our complaining and refusing. Digging in the dirt was not how we envisioned spending vacations, especially when it was hot outside.
While I hope I never have to dig another ditch in my lifetime, it didn't kill me. We experienced several things growing up that most kids didn't. If anything, it taught us to work hard and gave us confidence that we could pretty much do anything.
So when we got to the park today, and The Lime asked me what the worker men were doing, I was taken back to my youth. I could almost see our heads on these guys' shoulders. Someone would loosen the dirt up while the other person dug it out. It would take us most of the day (we'd start digging right near the house, down the driveway, to the street) but these guys were crankin' it out. Except for the one that kept taking water & sunflower seed breaks.
The Lime asked if he could help them but I told him he was wearing his nice cowboy boots and needed work boots. So instead, we gawked for a good chunk of time. Well, The Lime gawked. I just kept thinking how grateful I was that I didn't have to dig any ditches this Spring break.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment