Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Yahoo for Cousins!

My sister and her family have relocated (just down the street and around the corner from their old place) and since I'm not much help moving things, I've offered my child watching services. It gave my sister some extra time to focus on house things and it gave The Lime a companion that can actually play with him (37 week legs don't move very fast).

It was just our luck that I was watching my niece on the same day that a local hatchery had their Toddler Time. Even though both kids are out of the toddler stage, they're actually perfect for the activities, as I believe they're geared for older kids anyway.

Frogs were on the agenda for today and the sweet girl heading the class did a great job. The parents, on the other hand, were so rude and talked the entire time. The girl's voice was getting louder and her requests for parent participation grew more frequent. It's confusing to me when they tell their kids to sit down and be quiet but they stand and talk. I can only imagine what their kids were thinking.

After the singing and stories, they have the option of feeding the fish or doing a craft. The Lime always opts for the fish and bypasses the craft altogether.




The fish go nuts when the food hits the water, which gets a wild reaction from The Lime. Thank goodness he can go back as many times as he wants to get more food. Unfortunately, his hands smelled the rest of the day, even after numerous washings and hand sanitizer squirts.

We weren't too far from the temple so we made a slight detour before heading home. The kids were naturally drawn to the fountain and I tried to keep them somewhat reverent but water and reverence don't necessarily go together.



We walked around the grounds and got to a point that had a staircase. The kids transformed into posed princesses and silly geese. I couldn't stop laughing as I snapped photo after photo.





The kids had lots of questions about the Angel Moroni, which made me realize I need to do some investigative work. After one more hand dip in the fountain, and a reluctant picture, we made our way back home for a rousing lunch of macaroni & cheese and watermelon.


The second half of our day wasn't as exciting, unless you consider my car overheating "exciting", so no photos were taken.

Our visits have not only been fun but the kids wear each other out and crash by the end of the day. Everyone is a winner when naps are taken.

No comments: