We were anticipating July 4 this year, mainly because LaVor had the day off and we couldn't wait to spend that extra time with him. Nothing major was planned but I did want to attend the parade downtown.
It started at 9:00 and I think we got there at 9:05, just as the motorcycle cops were doing their routine. We were setting up our chairs when they went by so I didn't have a chance to take any pictures. But I did have the camera out when the hook & ladder went by!
The rest of the floats were average - mostly businesses promoting themselves, and the occasional dance team.
This little guy caught my eye and I thought the license plate was too darn cute.
The Lime would quickly turn his head away before I could snap a photo of him, but I caught him once! He wasn't very happy with me.
Doodlebug slept through 90% of the parade and from what he saw, he wasn't very amused either.
The last float made "Legos" to resemble servicemen from each branch of the military. Thought that was cute, too!
And just like that, the parade was over!
There was a family from our ward that was sitting nearby and they came over after it finished to see Doodlebug. We chitchatted while the crowds dispersed, in hopes of avoiding traffic. Unfortunately, our 20 minute chat wasn't long enough and we got to our car only to find a huge line of cars also trying to leave the parking garage. So I grabbed Doodlebug and fed him while we waited.
We arrived home literally a second before our friends, Jason and Nicole, pulled into our driveway. They were passing through the area and stopped by for a "quick" visit. We ended up spending several hours catching up, eating lunch, and letting the kids play their little hearts out. We love their family to pieces and miss being close by!
The rest of the afternoon was laid back. All three boys took naps while I got things ready for our weekend in the Bay Area. The Lime couldn't wait until it was time for fireworks but the poor thing had to practice lots of patience. The second it got dark enough, he was outside, rarin' to go.
Our neighbor's husband wasn't able to do the fireworks they bought for their family, so the wife asked if her girls could come over to our place and LaVor do their fireworks (in addition to ours). I think The Lime liked having little friends to enjoy the show with and I know the girls had fun.
It was a little too loud and smoky for Doodlebug so he and I enjoyed the show from the living room.
When things settled down, we went back outside and watched our neighbor set his off, while another neighbor brought the most delicious popcorn over to share. Have I mentioned how much we love our neighborhood?
Have I also mentioned how much I love America? Because I do. A lot. I count my blessings often for all of the freedoms I am able to enjoy because of the great land I live in.
Saturday, July 5, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment