We got off the freeway, turned onto the street to park and hit a huge traffic jam. There were people everywhere and the game was five minutes away from starting. LaVor hopped out to go stand in line for the tickets while we waited in the parking line. We were two cars away from paying when he called and said, "I'm still in line, which is wrapped around the building." To avoid paying an unnecessary fee, we got out of our line and drove around while we decided if we wanted to pursue the game or just leave. I made the executive decision to stay so we found another parking lot (which ended up being $3 more than the previous) and walked across the street to the stadium. When we got to the ticket windows, LaVor was waiting for us and said they had sold out of seats and had standing room only. That wasn't an option for us so we turned around and walked back to the car, where the generous parking attendant gave us our $10 back.
All in all, it was really no skin off our nose, except that we learned to be better prepared in the future.
Since we were already out, LaVor suggested we try a restaurant he had read good things about. Pizza is something none of us can resist.
We pulled up to the tiny building, where the customers outside watched our every move as we walked from the car to the door (awkward!). The second we walked in, the waiter asked us if we wanted anything to drink while we waited the brief five minutes for our table. The restaurant is set up family style, with long wooden tables and benches. Very intimate. They let us look over the menu while we waited, which was nice because then we could order the second we were seated.
I loved the glass bottles they had at the tables, especially because we're big water drinkers and I think waiters get annoyed constantly having to refill our glasses. The Lime entertained himself by grinding some pepper and separating the sugar packets into groups based on color.
LaVor ordered a salad and we all shared the antipasto (who knew onions were SO good when pickled?!). The antipasto was covered with a cracker-like cage, which seemed to have a dusting of cheese on it. The Lime devoured that on his own, while we gobbled up the meats, vegetables, and cheese.
LaVor's mom and I were eying the arugula and prosciutto pizza (my favorite!) but LaVor ended up ordering the Margherita and 3 meat.
Both were excellent and we ate every last piece. When one of the waiters walked by with another customer's pizza, LaVor's dad asked him, "What's that one?!" He returned and said it was the arugula and prosciutto! Ha! He was a sweet Italian guy who offered to put in an order for us but we were saving room for dessert. Although he wasn't our waiter, the Italian chatted with us for several minutes. He complemented me on my green nail polish and then looked up to see LaVor's hat. He said, "Ah ha! A's fans!" He said he is trying to get into baseball, since he's lived here for 14 years, and chose to root for the A's because they have soul. Love that.
We topped the meal off with a gigantic bowl of mint chip ice cream as well as a root beer float.
One reason we were really sad about leaving the Bay Area was because of the food. We have yet to find a German restaurant or a Mexican restaurant that even comes close to La Piñata. But we are relieved to have found a yummy, affordable, and charismatic pizza place.
| Speaking of character, check out the little one in the middle |
1 comment:
Sounds so good. I will have to remember it. Also, I am not sure I have ever been to the Mexican restaurant you mentioned in the Bay Area-adding it to my list. You can buy those water bottles at IKEA for cheap! I recommend it-even just for a rose in your bathroom. I visited home and missed running in to you guys. I think James and Dieter would really get along now that James is a little older. Glad to hear life is good for you!
Post a Comment