The Lime wanted to be Bo from Dukes of Hazzard but I ran out of time and didn't have a chance to get his costume ready in time for Saturday night. He was more than willing to dress up as a fireman, which was perfect because we have everything, and Doodlebug was a dalmatian. Unfortunately, most people thought he was a cow.
There was a great turnout for the dinner, including tons of non-members. One of which was a girl I went to preschool and high school with. The world is tiny, I tell ya! Another attendee was a homeless woman, we think. We saw her eating dinner and I couldn't tell if she was in costume or not. When we saw her going to every car, asking for candy, we were certain she was homeless.
And then I made a huge, disappointing mistake - I gave her a look. It wasn't a nice, warm, friendly look but rather "I can't believe she's asking for candy". She saw me, I know she did, because she turned back around and quietly said, "I think I'm done."
My heart has been sad ever since.
I had a conversation not too long ago with my sister about this exact situation. While the signs on our church buildings say "visitors welcome", are they really welcome? Are we being the examples we should be and showing Christ like love to those we come in contact with? Are we jumping at the opportunities we have to serve people and help where we're needed?
My answer is no to each of those questions. I passed her in the hall when I went to feed Doodlebug and that would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce myself and find out a little bit about her. And rather than dirty looks, I could have shared a smile or wave to let her know we were happy she was there.
Most of the time, I wouldn't want to come face to face with someone I treated so poorly but in this case, I'm hoping I see her again. I would welcome a second chance to treat her with the respect and love I know she deserves.

No comments:
Post a Comment