Monday, January 18, 2016

The Lime - Tally Mark 72 - Part 1

My Sweet Boy,

As I sit here typing this, I can hear the rain tapping on the roof just like it was doing six years ago. At this time six years ago, my body was doing its best to prepare to bring you into the world. While that was our special day, I'm glad that we're celebrating it now and not re-living it :)

What a year you've had! You played two seasons of t-ball, you traveled to two new states, you experienced death for the first time, you started down your path of education, and I think you've grown a foot or two (okay, maybe not that much but I feel like you'll be taller than me any day). We found out you're allergic to chicken, turkey, raspberries, and peaches. The poultry doesn't bother you but you've been begging for the fruit once we told you you couldn't have it anymore. Maybe one day!

You seem to be six going on sixteen. You want to be "cool" and dress like older kids but you still bring Lucifer wherever we go. Your little attitude has gotten you into some trouble this last year but we're hoping you're getting it out of your system so by the time you are sixteen, you'll be a doll.

One of your biggest fears about starting school was if you'd know anyone in your class. Not only have you made some best friends in your class, you have lots of little friends in several grades. You take after me (in more ways than one) and recognize kids while we're out and about. You're aware of everything and can usually tell me what class they're in, yet I don't know if they all know you. And that's okay!

You like to be read to at night. We've read every Berenstain Bear book we have, several times, and just finished your Eyewitness Book about WWII last night. You might be a little young for nuclear bombs and concentration camps, but your desire to learn history is strong. You are a lover of old things. You still haven't been to Alcatraz (me neither!) but let's hope this will be the year that we make it happen!

If we'd let you, you'd stay outside all afternoon long and ride your bike. Back and forth, up and down the driveways, you go. You are the neighborhood chatterbox and have no problem striking up conversations with any of our neighbors. You're the first one to say hi and the first one to wave. You love them and they sure love you. You've even got this connection with the teenage boy across the street. He waved to you one day and you said, "I think we're best friends!" He calls you bud and says "what's up?" and you think it's pretty cool. His name is Hank and he also plays baseball and drives a Ford truck, which I think makes him even cooler in your eyes.

Just like in previous years, you've dreaded getting older. But just like 5 was an awesome year, you're going to have just as much fun as a six year old!

Even though we've spent more time apart this year than ever before, and I hate being away from you, I've loved seeing you gain confidence, knowledge, friendships, talents, and experiences. I hope that you use all of your amazing potential for good, and remember what I tell you everyday when we kiss goodbye: "Make good choices!" You're a smart kid and can do great things! And I can't wait to see what those great things will be.

Thank you for being my sweet boy, my Freddy, for giving me hugs and kisses, and jumping into my arms and onto my back. Thank you for holding my hand and getting excited when I work in your classroom. Thank you for wanting to snuggle on the couch and asking me to play with you. You are a sweetie pie and I wish you a majestic sixth year of life!

Love,

Mommy

No comments: