Saturday, January 5, 2013

And It Feels Alright

On my way to work yesterday, I was listening to the alternative station and was pleasantly surprised to hear something other than Muse or Mumford & Sons (even though I do like them...just hate how often they're played). Naked Eye by Luscious Jackson was blasting from my speakers and I, amazingly, remembered all the words.

My mind instantly went back to 1997, when my sister and I (I think she just went to support me) went to a model search at the Hilton down the freeway. We met in one of the ballrooms, they schooled us on which way to walk up to the judges(?), how to twirl, and what to do if they nodded or told us to stay. Based on my 7th grade photo that I recently shared with the world, it's no surprise that I got a nod. I'm laughing as I write this because I don't know if I went because I thought I could really be a model. Anyway, as we were leaving the hotel, we heard "Naked Eye" on the radio. We drove down the street to the mall and spent our night there instead.

Then while at work, I was sitting there, minding my own business, when my ears perked up and heard another blast from the past, "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" by Starship.

I don't remember much of the before details except that I was 3 and had been playing in the backyard with my brother. We were remodeling our house at the time and our backyard had mounds of dirt covering it. Tommy and I were playing with the wheelbarrow and I somehow got bonked in the forehead by the handles and had to be taken to the ER. While lying down on the backseat of our Ford Econoline (like the one in Goonies...watch for it in the first 5 minutes), holding a red washcloth to my forehead so I wouldn't see the blood, I heard this song on the radio. My mom saw my forehead recently and said, "You still have the scar from the wheelbarrow!" I sure do, which is one of the reasons why I still have bangs.

But at least, after 25 years, it feels alright.


No comments: