Our morning was spent at the library, returning books/movies, checking out new items, exploring the new computers, and attempting Storytime. The Lime was doing well until the teacher gave him an orange egg shaker rather than a blue one. We barely made it through the song and then it was out to the puzzle table.
Prior to Storytime, while The Lime was trying to figure out how to use a mouse rather than swiping the computer screen, I saw two moms walk into the library, each holding a child. It wasn't long before one mom said, "Okay Sweetie! I've got to go but ______ will take good care of you!" The little girl cried and cried and cried. I noticed they didn't go into Storytime but I could hear the crying continue throughout the session.
The filler in mom and little girl, Lily, were sitting at the same table that The Lime went to. Not long after we sat down, Lily stopped crying and was distracted by the plethora of puzzles to choose from.
After about 10-15 minutes, Lily began to whimper (mind you she's not even 2) and ask for her mom. The filler in mom said, "Crying is not acceptable right now. Your mom is not an option. You need to stop." I couldn't believe my ears!
Then the filler in's child crawled off and she left Lily at the table with me for about 10 more minutes until I had to evacuate the premises due to The Lime's bowels. I'm no child abductor but if I wanted to snatch Lily, I could have and the filler in would have had no clue. It broke my heart.
It broke my heart that Lily simply needed to be comforted and she was told to stop. It broke my heart that Lily's mom obviously trusted this other woman to take good care of her child and it wasn't happening.
It did make me grateful that The Lime has been in great hands, for the last three years, while I've had to work. Even though he cried every time I left, I knew it wasn't because my sister wasn't treating him nicely. He freaked when I would leave him with LaVor...he just loves his mom.
I never have to worry if he won't get a hug or if his owies won't be kissed or if he'll sit in his diaper too long or if he'll go hungry.
Every time I tell someone that my sister and I switch off working days with baby-sitting days, they tell me how lucky I am. And I'd have to agree.
If only Lily had an Auntie to love her as much as The Lime is loved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment