Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Avon Walk 2013

How is it possible that it's been over a week since I completed the walk?!

I was extremely nervous for this year's walk. The most I had trained was six miles, and that was almost two months ago. I kept telling myself, "You've done this before, you can do it again." But deep down, I wasn't so sure.

To save some money this year, we decided to stay with LaVor's parents Friday night and I would drive into the city Saturday morning. The last bus is scheduled to leave the host hotel at 5:30 in order to get to the opening ceremonies on time. This meant I'd have to get up before 4:00 in order to get ready and make the drive into the city. I tried to get to bed early Friday night but was so paranoid that I'd miss my alarm, I ended up waking up every hour to check my clock. When my alarm finally went off, I thought, "Who gets up this early to walk 26 miles?!" I do!

It was pitch black outside and the freeway was pretty empty, which made the drive into the city pretty boring. Sure enough, the line for the buses was wrapped around the building, like in previous years, leaving me to think that I probably could have slept for another 10 minutes. Oh well.

I found an empty seat on the bus and chatted with the woman, also walking by herself, as we maneuvered our way to Fort Mason. She was an older lady, probably mid to late 40's, and was walking in honor of her mother-in-law who had recently passed away from breast cancer. It was her first walk and she was excited but nervous, so I gave her what little advice I have. We walked to the ceremony together and ended up parting ways.

As tradition, I signed my name on the inflatable column, grabbed some breakfast, and waited for the ceremony to begin. Last year was freezing so I brought an extra sweater this year, which ended up staying wrapped around my waist the whole day.



While I LOVE doing the walk, I do think they need to switch things up. The format is the same every year, the videos they use have been the same, I think the speech the coordinator gives is even the same. I didn't take as many pictures this year for that very reason...they'd be the same as the last two years. The one thing that was different this year was the amount the San Francisco walk earned...$4.2 million! Woo hoo!


The beginning is always a challenge, as a thousand walkers are trying to get out of the park and people are trying to get their pace going. Our route took us along the water, through Fisherman's Wharf, pass the piers and then up Market and through the Financial District. We walk through Chinatown, North Beach, and end up on Polk but turn onto another street before we hit the ghetto. We then walk through the ritzy part of town, up a giant hill (where the paramedics wait at the top...no lie), and then back down the hill, along the Presidio. While walking down the hill, I came up behind a familiar person...Margie, the lady I met on the bus! We caught each other up on how we were doing and walked together up until her family met her at Crissy Field. From there, we walk up another hill, which gives you the perfect shot of the Golden Gate Bridge. Walking across the bridge is another challenge, especially with the runners and tourists. Thankfully the bikers have been moved to the other side of the bridge...they're deadly.


I was text messaging my sister as I walked across the bridge, trying to figure out where would be a good place to meet. I ended up getting to our original spot quicker than expected so after stopping for a potty break and a quick lunch, I had something to look forward to after I climbed another hill.


These lovely ladies! This was the first year that Lori, my friend and former co-worker, was able to come cheer me on. It was such a treat to see them and to admire the wonderful work my nieces and nephew did with the signs. We chatted for a couple of minutes and then I continued on my way.



If there was one thing I learned this year, it was that I needed to keep moving. If I stopped or slowed down, the pain in my legs seemed to get worse so I had to maintain a certain pace. I tried stretching and drank more water this year than I ever have before, but I think it came down to the lack of training.

Because of where the Wellness Village and the Closing Ceremonies are, they have to alter the route a little bit. On Saturday, you have the option to either do a 23 mile loop or go an extra 3 miles so you can do the actual 26 miles. On Sunday, it's 15 miles from start to finish. When I reach the point of either stopping at 23 or going for the 26, my body always hopes my mind will choose the 23 but I just can't. Those last 3 miles are tough, especially because not many people choose to do the extra loop so you're pretty much by yourself, nobody to cheer you on. There is a pit stop on the extra loop and that seems to help...a little. But nothing helps more than to see the 26 mile marker...the end is near!


I ended up getting to the finish line before LaVor, his parents, and The Lime arrived, so I got to walk through it twice. Another confession...the finish is a little anti-climactic compared to the first couple of years. I'm always proud that I accomplished the first day but I'm more excited that I get to sit for the rest of the night.


With the generosity of others, we were able to get a hotel room in the city Saturday night so I didn't have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn, just the crack. Our hotel was about an 8 minute walk to the host hotel, according to Google. LaVor didn't want me walking alone but I didn't want him and The Lime to have to wake up to drive me. So I ran. What?!?! I don't know how I did it, but I did. I hopped on another bus and found another empty seat, this time next to a woman named Gina. It was also her first time walking and we enjoyed the drive to Corte Madera, sharing stories about our boys. When we arrived at the Wellness Village, the sun was beginning to rise and offered a beautiful pink backdrop.


With a full belly and stretched legs, I was ready to whip out another 13 miles. Except that I didn't get my annual picture with Indiana Al from KRTY! I looked for him all weekend and wasn't successful in locating him. Turns out he was there, which made me super sad!

The walk on Sunday is the same as Saturday, just in the opposite direction. When I started out on the long, boring stretch of path in Mill Valley, I once again recognized the lady in front of me...Margie! We caught up, once again, and continued to walk with one another through Sausalito, down to Fort Baker. It really makes a difference to have someone to talk to and to help keep your mind off of your aching body. Plus, it was nice to meet someone new.

Going across the bridge was a doozy. I felt like my hip was going to crumble into a million pieces and I ended up getting stuck behind several slow people (remember...I needed to maintain a pace!). I was so stinkin' happy to get off that thing and stretch my legs. Plus...it's all downhill from there!

As I was walking through the parking lot near Crissy Field, I heard someone shouting my name. My parents arrived just as I was making my way to the Marina. I mentioned that I needed to keep walking (fast!) so I would meet them at the finish line. Just like Saturday, I arrived there before everyone else and got to walk through it twice.


I wanted to wait and see Margie come through and I'm so glad I did! She was quite emotional, which made me cry. I remember that feeling of, "I did it!" and she had a personal reason to do it, which I think added to the emotion. I'm hoping I see her again next year.


It is always an honor and my sincere privilege to be able to participate in the walk. I admire the women who battle this disease and do hard things every day. I had to remind myself of that often, "This is hard but people do much harder!"


I look forward to what next year's walk will bring.

No comments: