My sister seemed to have a new story each week about someone who decided to throw out any filter they might have possessed and freely speak their mind regarding her having a baby. Hardly any of the comments were uplifting and positive but rude and uncalled for. She got to the point where she would respond with a witty comment and catch them completely off guard.
I think she rubbed off on me.
The Lime and I were at the library today, making our way to the entrance. They have one of those handicap buttons you can press for the doors to open automatically, which The Lime likes to take advantage of. He was trying to press the button with his foot but wasn't having any luck, since people kept leaving the library and opening the doors. I told him he could press the button on the way out and tried to get him to follow me. That's when an older man walked up, put his book in the return box and said, "Well maybe if you hadn't been kicking the button, it would have opened." That's when I took The Lime's hand and said to him, "I don't know why people think they can say whatever they want!" The guy totally heard me and turned back around and said something. Unfortunately, I didn't hear him.
I was originally thinking that it has to do with age; apparently the older you get, the more diarrhea exits your mouth. But in my sister's case, she had a wide spectrum of people throwing comments her direction so my theory is out the door.
What makes people think they can comment about other peoples' situation? Is it the free speech thing? I can say whatever I want, no matter how it might make someone feel. And that's true, people can say what they want. Maybe I feel like the person is stepping into my business, where they don't belong. Maybe it's a combination of them being rude and annoying.
I'm particular about who enters my bubble, whether it be physically or with words. I think things in my head all the time but would never dare say it outloud, mostly because of the fear of getting shot or beat up but also because I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings!
But if someone is thick skinned enough to say it to me, I'm hoping they're thick skinned enough to have it returned.
Unless they're pregnant. Then just don't say anything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment