Sunday, March 25, 2012

Back In Time

While I was ironing my church clothes this morning, I got a whiff of something that reminded me of a trip my friends and I took down to Southern California to visit Katie.  That then took me back almost 20 years (ugh!) to when we were all in Activity Days.

And that's where it all began.

I want to say late 1994 - early 1995, based on my hair length.
Each week, we'd have a sleepover at each other's house.  I loved spending the night at the Willyerds' house because they had blackberry and raspberry bushes, chickens, tons of kids in their court which turned into hours of Capture the Flag and Red Rover, they lived close to the little league field where all the cute boys played every Saturday morning.

Katie's house was a second home to me.  It's where I had Mommy School, where we made up dances in the backyard and played in the magnolia tree out front, we'd walk to SK Donuts (which we thought was named after their daughter, Sandy Kong) or Brother Barnum would wake up bright and early and have doughnuts waiting for us when we got up.

We had a great time together and created so many memories before Katie moved down South.
   
1996 - we did a "photo shoot" before Katie left.  Katie & I had matching overalls, from Wal*Mart.  Why do I remember that?
Lizzy, Sarah, and I went down to visit Katie for her 15th birthday.  I remember Valentine's Day being on Sunday, which was also Stake Conference, and Sister Barnum having Valentine's on the kitchen table for us.  Lizzy also gave me one of her foil candy wrappers, folded into a heart, which I think I might still have in my scriptures.

We also went to Disneyland on that trip, where I lost an envelope of money.  It was in my backpack and I believe when I took my sweatshirt out, the envelope came out with it.  Sarah was sweet enough to buy a big enough dinner to share with me.

I think that was also the Disneyland trip where we broke down on Splash Mountain so they gave us a pass to be first in line on another ride.  They wrote 4 people on the pass but we ended up meeting some friends later that night so we added a 1 in front of the 4.  We got to the front of Indiana Jones, only to find out that the maximum number of users per pass was 9.  They picked up the phone to verify our pass and we quickly turned around and briskly walked away.

At Ruby's in Huntington Beach.  Don't mind my appearance...blah!
The last time we were all together was in 2004 at Lizzy's wedding.  A lot happens in 8 years; the rest of us got married, moved around the country, had and are having babies, and living life.




And all of this remembering, just from a smell.  Go figure.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

KIM! That pretty much sums it up doesn't it :) I LOVED this blog. I was just telling someone the story about Splash mountain 2 weeks ago.. haha