Monday, March 12, 2012

Day 3

We woke up Monday morning, already in Falmouth, Jamaica.  It was so nice to finally see land!

I figured all of Jamaica would look like this, but I was so wrong.

We quickly ate breakfast and made our way off the ship, to then sit on our bus while the last family was rounded up.

We were planning on getting wet, hence the "no bangs" look.
Our tour guide was named Anita and the driver was Sid.  Anita was a sweet lady that gave us a lot of good tips, especially when it came to people trying to sell us stuff.  Everyone was shocked as to how pushy they were!  Strategically, when we were leaving Dunn's River Falls, you had to walk through the crowded vendor area to reach the exit.  LaVor was constantly referred to as the "bearded man" and was offered some herbal refreshment...if you know what I mean. 

I don't know what I was expecting Jamaica to be like but I was surprised.  Lots of tiny shacks, many homes half built (which we later found out was, they don't get loans to build their homes, they just build as they have the money), lots of goats, cows, and horses along the road, they drive on the wrong side of the road, people pass each other like it's going out of business.

We think the larger homes might have been plantation owners?

Lots of bright colors!

Divide those numbers by 20 and you roughly get the equivalent in U.S. dollars.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
I never got used to seeing cars on the right side.

Goats, goats, and more goats.

Our first stop was at Dolphin Cove, where we waited around for a while, before we got our 10 minutes with the dolphin.


The men in the "Shark Show".  Although they speak English in Jamaica, I didn't understand a word they said.

Better them than me.

This shark was especially fond of his trainer.


We enjoyed the brief time we had with our dolphin!  It danced, clapped, sang Lady Gaga, kissed people (not me!), and let us rub its tummy.  Since LaVor and I were in the water at the same time, that experience wasn't documented on camera (unless we wanted to pay an outrageous fee).

A dolphin.  Not even sure if it was ours.

We were told we'd be getting a great lunch with our package.  I don't know what standards they were basing that on, but I decided to stick with a few bites of salad and 5 hush puppies, with a glass of Sprite.

He ate most of everything.

I did not.

We then traveled across the road to Dunn's River Falls, where we held hands with complete strangers as we climbed 900 feet in rushing water.  Again, no pictures of that since our camera isn't waterproof.

Everyone was pooped on the way back to the ship.  I try to avoid sleeping in public areas because I tend to have my mouth wide open.  So I took pictures instead.

No editing involved.  Love the crystal clear water!

Home sweet home.

Well isn't that a hoot!


It felt good to get back on the ship, take a shower and get into some dry clothes.  I don't remember too much about dinner that night, except that we sat next to another couple that had a 2 year old girl, so it was fun to talk about all the crazy things our kids are doing.

After dinner, there was a dance party out by the pool that I would have loved to participate in, but my partner in crime is not a dancer.  So we watched.

This was only the beginning.

When drunk people started grinding on us, we decided to call it a night.

Peace out, Jamaica.

No comments: