Saturday, November 27, 2010

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWxYZ

(Not my x-ray)

I'm grateful for x-rays.

I wish more words started with X so I wouldn't have to use the usual "x-ray" but I really AM grateful for x-rays.

I had a year where I couldn't stay on my feet. It was Fall and our stake had a youth choir for Stake Conference. I was excited to finally be old enough to join my brother and sister in YM/YW activities. We had to pick up another girl from our ward on this particular night and my brother sent me up to her door to get her. I had on a denim overall jumper that hardly had any room in the legs. I don't know why but I chose to run up to Jane's door that night and managed to trip and fall, landing on my wrist. It hurt but it wasn't horrible. I remember it hurting during the practice and letting my mom know what happened when we returned home. It didn't look bad so I went to school the next day and the next and it still wasn't getting better. My mom took me to the ER that night and the nurse that checked me in said it wasn't broken but would have a Doctor take a look at it. Several x-rays later and an exam and sure enough, it was fractured.

3 months later, I was roller-skating in front of my house. My brother had his F-150 truck out front and all the tires were flat. I was skating backwards, too close to the truck, and I tripped over one of the tires. My sister was standing in the front window, watching all of this, laughing at me. This fall hurt too. I skated up to the house and told my mom that I think I broke my other wrist. We headed over to the same ER, saw the same ER nurse, he said the same thing, "It's not broken." After x-rays and an exam, it was decided that I broke my wrist.

I'm glad we didn't base our trip on what the nurse said but what the x-rays told us.

Also, it's important to get dental x-rays. The Dentist and Hygienist can only see so much from a physical exam. :o)

No comments: