Monday, November 22, 2010

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRsTUVWXYZ

(My mom gave each of us this picture for Christmas one year)

I'm so grateful for my sisters.

Growing up, I was lucky enough to have Amy at each school for 2 years. There was a comfort knowing that I wasn't alone. Even though we never had lunch or recess together and only saw each other before and after school, I at least knew she was there. One time in particular while in high school, we were walking to the parking lot and I got myself in a "situation". There was a group of girls walking behind us, one of which was talking about her bra. I thought I said "nobody cares about your bra" softly but apparently I didn't. The girl INSTANTLY got an attitude and wanted to know what I said, why I said it, etc etc etc. I tried to ignore her but she kept on going. Amy finally turned around and yelled, "She didn't say anything!" Whew! Nothing like a bigger older sister, taking charge and covering your behind. The girl shut up after that.
One time, while my parents were away, my oldest sister, Kari, was in charge. I don't remember who I was fighting with (probably Amy) but my punishment was to go with Kari to the mall. She was in search of a headband and we drove out to Stoneridge to see if their Macy's had anything different from ours. I remember driving in our big van, coming down the hill, just the two of us. I had never been to Stoneridge before and thought it was the best punishment ever.We've had many differences over the years but having babies within a year of each other has made us closer. A few weeks after Amy had given birth, we were all at Kari's, talking about the trying times of being a mother. We all began to cry, as each of us knew how the other one was feeling. We were now connected physically, emotionally and mentally, more than we've ever been before.

My sisters are my best friends. What greater blessing than to be with your best friends forever.

1 comment:

Alex McMurray said...

Thanks, Popie. I'm grateful for you, too. I don't remember that excursion to the mall. I must be getting old.