Friday, November 1, 2013

Grateful for...A

I have REALLY loved these last couple of months that I've had the opportunity to do family history and learn more about my ancestors.

While I haven't been able to find too many personal stories, mostly just names and dates, I have learned a little bit more about my mom's side of the family.

I came across my mom's cousin's husband while doing some research on my ancestors and hit the jackpot.  While the husband had lots of the facts, the cousin had actual experiences to share, specifically about my great grandma.

All I was ever told about her was that she wasn't very nice but the cousin was able to give me additional information.

My great great grandmother immigrated to America from Germany in 1891.  She brought her 5 year old daughter with her and married my great great grandfather shortly after arriving.  My great grandmother was born in 1892 and her mother unfortunately passed away two years later.  The now 7 year old sister was sent to Iowa and my great grandmother was taken in by her aunt & uncle/godparents.  I don't know too much about her childhood from that point.  She did marry at the age of 16, which makes me think perhaps things weren't so great.  She then had a daughter who passed away at the age of 5, which again makes me wonder if that's where some of her hostility came from.

My sister had the opportunity to do the temple work for our great grandmother and said she felt nothing but happy, positive feelings - the complete opposite of what we had always been told about her.  I know she's been waiting for this time where she can be sealed to her family but especially her mother and daughter.  I can't even imagine what they're doing on the other side.

Discovering all of this information has made me want to learn as much as I can about my ancestors.  But more importantly, it makes me extremely excited to link us all together and meet them one day.

My great aunt & great grandmother - Santa Clara University - 1950

No comments: