13 years ago today, I went as far away from my comfort zone as I could imagine and started culinary school.
My entire life, I did what was comfortable. After high school, I attended community college because it's what I already knew and it was close to home. All of my jobs came about because someone in my family already worked there. Life was simple and that's what I liked.
But then this idea of culinary school came about and I was intrigued. After tours of the campus and interviews of acceptance, I decided to jump right in and embark on a new, and different, chapter.
The first day was a basic orientation. Chef Steve went over all the courses, distributed supplies and uniforms, and we were ready for our official first day on November 2nd.
Well, everyone else was ready. I went home and doubted my decision. I was scared, nervous, unsure, lacked confidence of my abilities, and wasn't sure I'd be returning to class. My mom said, "Nope! No way am I letting you pass up this opportunity!" and she made me go back the second day.
And I'm so grateful I did.
That experience finally made me feel like a big kid, despite being an "adult" for two years. I learned so much, and not just about baking but about myself. I realized I could do things that I thought were hard. I also made so many memories and friends and look back on the experience with fondness (minus the student loans).
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment