Sunday, November 11, 2012

Giving Thanks...K

I thought it was appropriate that "K" fell on Veterans Day and that my family's most recent veteran is Keith.

In some ways, I feel like Lieutenant Dan from "Forrest Gump" in that there's generations of men in my family that served their country in the military. I've always been proud of our history but thought it had ended with my dad. When my sister married a military boy, I felt another round of pride but also fear. With our country being at war and him already serving a tour in the Middle East, I knew it was a possibility that he would be deployed again.

And when he was, we was professional about it and humble. He doesn't care for the bells and whistles; just wants to do what he signed up to do, which was to serve our country and provide for his family.

I admire Keith for his strength, hard-working attitude, kindness, willingness to serve, love, and selflessness. We're lucky to call him ours and reap the benefits of his sacrifice, as well as all the other men and women that have given their time and lives, so we can be free.

No comments: