Sunday, November 15, 2015

Grateful for: O


Oakland Temple

I have this picture hanging in our front room so when someone is at the door, it's one of the first things they see.

When I was growing up, any time we drove through Oakland, we'd say, "I'll give you a nickle if you see the temple!"  I don't think anyone ever got paid but it was something special to be able to see the temple, especially if it was lit up at night.

We lucked out when it came to having the Oakland temple be "our" temple.  It's the only one that looks like this.  And, in my opinion, it's the most beautiful.  I especially love the story behind it.

"While Apostle George Albert Smith was visiting San Francisco in 1924 and looking over the San Francisco Bay, he said, 'I can almost see in vision a white temple of the Lord high upon those hills, an ensign to all the world travelers as they sail through the Golden Gate into this wonderful harbor.'"

Four of my five siblings were married there, all of LaVor's siblings were married there, in addition to his parents, numerous cousins, and other family members. 

I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to seal my family together forever in such a sacred place.  I'm thankful for the peace I've felt within those walls.  I'm thankful for the Spirit confirming to me that the temple is the house of the Lord.  I've grateful for its beauty and the hope and happiness the temple offers.

No comments: