I'm skipping the alphabet thing this year and just picking something from the day that I'm grateful for.
Even though they're no longer with us, I want to take advantage of the time that I live near my grandparents' grave and visit them often. I couldn't think of a more perfect day to visit than today, Veterans Day.
As soon as we pulled into the cemetery, I was in awe of all the flags. They were EVERYWHERE! The man at the gate asked if I'd like one to place on my loved one's grave but I graciously declined, letting him know I brought my own. But much to my surprise, all of the military graves already had flags placed on them.
We quickly found Grandpa and Grandma and placed our flag. Doodlebug couldn't get enough of the kitty on Grandma's headstone and The Lime was paranoid about Doodlebug stepping on the headstones. He said he was afraid Grandma and Grandpa were going to reach their arms up from the ground and grab us. Oh my, does he had an imagination!
We spoke to them for a few moments before we walked around the cemetery and expressed our gratitude to all of the veterans for their service.
Our family has veterans dating back generations (I sort of feel like Forrest Gump). The tradition continues on with my brother-in-law and The Lime speaks of one day joining the military.
I'm grateful for the men and women, past and present, who make the selfless decision to join our military, fight for our freedoms, sacrifice their time with family and friends, to ensure my family is safe. They are an example to me and hold a special place in my heart.
Friday, November 11, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment