Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Gratitude: Day 2

I'm skipping the alphabet thing this year and just picking something from the day that I'm grateful for.

We've been in our current location for three and a half years and for three of those years, I hoped and prayed for a friend that I could really call a friend.

Two years ago, I was re-called to the Primary presidency, under a new president that just moved into the ward. We were a young presidency, all of our kids being 10 and younger so we had lots in common. I thought to myself, "Yes! This will be my opportunity to meet that friend!" But month after month went by and I wasn't making a connection with any of the presidency. In fact, I probably had the complete opposite feelings from what I was hoping for.

Fast forward to March of this year. Something literally clicked in me overnight and I had a prompting to write a note to the president, expressing my gratitude for all of her hard work and dedication. I dropped the note off with a brownie (because I remembered that was her favorite dessert), sent her a text message to check her porch, and was on my way. Within minutes, she replied with, "Thank you so much! This has been an answer to my prayers!"

Since that day, we have created a wonderful, strong friendship that I am SO grateful for. We've baby-sat kids when the other has been in a bind, we've gone on double dates with our husbands, we've laughed until we've cried, we've realized we have so much in common with each other, we've thrown baby showers together, we bring the other one medicine when husbands are out of town and kids have fevers, and we've grown to love one another. My favorite, though, is our one night a month (or so) that we go out, just the two of us, eat dessert, and talk until the store literally kicks us out (like what happened tonight).

Our kids love each other, our husbands text message each other during church, and I can honestly say I found that friend that I prayed and hoped for.

Now neither of us can never move.

No comments: